Early morning musings · education · family fun

Day 131: There’s a 5:00 in the MORNING?

Yes, there’s a 5:00 in the morning. Who knew? I mean, I’d heard these rumors that early mornings were a thing, but I don’t think I really believed them until today.

My alarm went off at five this morning. Fortunately I had set the coffee maker correctly, so my coffee was ready for me as soon as I staggered downstairs. Our goal was to leave the house by 5:20 so we could get to the beach in time to watch the sunrise.

We made it – sort of. Sunrise was at 5:59. Unfortunately, the gate to the beach parking lot opens at 6:00, and when we arrived there was a lineup of cars waiting to get in. So much for my idea of us watching the sunrise on a deserted beach, eating the pancakes that we prepared yesterday for today’s breakfast.

It was a bit of a fail on both counts, actually. Not only did we miss the sunrise itself, we also forgot the pancakes because someone (okay, it was me) thought it would be nice to warm them up a bit before packing them in the bag. The pancakes spent the next three hours cooling right where I’d left them, in the microwave.

Mr. December admitted that there were a few things we hadn’t taken into account. For his part, he had this image in his head of it still being pretty dark just before sunrise; I guess he forgot that the dawn comes before the sunrise rather than after. I guess that’s what happens when a night owl plans to be an early bird for the day; he’s never seen the dawn, so how would he know?

All of that aside, the sky was gorgeous this morning. The beach was sandy and soft, with none of the rocks that we’ve had at other beaches along Lake Ontario. R and E immediately started playing in the sand and dipping their toes in the frigid water. Mr. December and K joined them and they all waded out a bit until they found a sand bar. E put on her life jacket and body surfed on the tiny waves made by boats out on the water.

It was a bit chilly when we arrived, but by 7:45 my back and shoulders felt hot in the sun (under my sun shirt, of course). By 8:15 the beach was starting to fill up with people and the girls were hungry (no pancakes, remember?), so we decided to pack up. When we got back to the car there were people lined up in the parking lot, just waiting for someone to leave.

Now it’s almost 10 p.m. and I feel like it’s past midnight. When I went to tuck R in at 8:30 she insisted that she wasn’t tired. Couldn’t she have more time? I relented with this caveat: “I know you’re not tired, but I am. I’ve been up and doing the mom thing since 5 this morning, and I’m done. I’m kissing you goodnight now, because Nice Mommy is going off shift very soon.”

I’m too tired to end this post elegantly, so I’ll just end it with my favourite picture from this morning.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s