better homes than yours · DIY · Work-in-progress Wednesday

Work in Progress Wednesday – May 25 edition

I don’t know about you, but I work best under a deadline. I just finished my WIP Wednesday project from last week, 5 minutes before Wednesday. Hooray!

Before I get started, I want to give a shout-out to Orit, who cleaned up her desk last week. And I’ve been assured that Bookishima will be jumping back on the WIP Wednesday wagon today.

You can do it, too. Just tell us (on your blog, or in the comments below) what you’re going to achieve this week. It can be as small as changing the lightbulb that’s been dead for months, or as big as renovations or landscaping. Post a “before” pic if you can. Don’t forget to link back to this post so that your readers can be inspired by the rest of the WIP Wednesday crew.

And now, the big reveal…

Completed: Basement storage

This was a lot more labour-intensive than I thought. It turned out that I had to add a spacer on one end so that the drawers could open successfully. Then I discovered that I’d have to shim up the units since the floor slopes quite drastically (I don’t know why this surprised me; our house is 60 years old. Nothing is straight or level.) Finally, the cutouts to accommodate the water meter took a very long time and then needed to be disguised a bit. I also took the time to screw the units together so that the fronts were flush with no visible gaps, and I screwed each frame into the wall for safety. In the end, though, I have a wall unit I can feel proud of:

Note the spacer on the far left of the unit. I had to add that so the drawers wouldn’t bang into the countertop.

Here you can see the cutout I had to make in the end panel to accommodate the water meter. It allows room to open the top panel and read the meter. The electrical cord snaking through that hole is the charger for my cordless drill, which now lives in one of the drawers.
As you can see, I had to cut up the botttom panel to fit it around the main water pipe. I assembled this last unit in place so that I could fit it around the water meter without excessive loss of material or storage space. The door of this compartment is made of a shelf designed for this unit.

Major props go out to my cordless drill, jigsaw, carpenter’s square, and clamps, without which this project would have been impossible… or at least a whole lot uglier.

In Progress: the broken bed

Mr. December and I broke the bed.

It’s not what you think… I just get a kick out of saying it that way. Our bed has no box spring; the king size mattress sits directly on wooden slats, which are supported in the middle of the bed by really flimsy legs. We’ve been pushing the legs back into place for at least a year now, and it looks (and sounds) as if one of them has cracked. I’ve purchased lumber and plan to build three u-profile boxes to replace the three flimsy legs. This should be a pretty quick fix, but I’ll have to remember to take the 3-inch screws out of the car before Mr. December drives off with them again.

In Progress: the workshop

Now that I have a beautiful new wall unit in my workshop, I need to tidy up and organize all my stuff into those white tubs so that I can have my work surface back AND find all of the tools and doodads I know that I bought that one time…

Take a good look at this picture. This is the last time you’ll see this kind of chaos in my workshop!

That’s all for me. Go forth and be productive… and post about it!

3 thoughts on “Work in Progress Wednesday – May 25 edition

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s